Other Disasters >
Public Health >
Evacuate immediately if told to do so.
Evacuation instructions will be broadcasted by local authorities, radio,
television or telephone. You may receive a telephone call from
CodeRED, or ECN Communication Network), a automated system to get
emergency information to the public.
When activated, the CodeRED system has the ability to send a
pre-recorded message to thousands of telephone customers every minute.
If you receive such a call listen carefully to the instructions.
Information may include the nature of the emergency, the need to
evacuate or shelter in place, shelter locations and how to receive
further information. The recorded message will be repeated allowing you
to write down any necessary information. To register your cell phone or
email address please
As you evacuate:
- Remain calm
- Follow instructions from local authorities
- Use travel routes specified by local
- Lock your home
- Shut all doors and windows
- Take your emergency kit
- Take a portable radio
If you know you have time:
- Shut off gas or propane
- Do not shut off water and electricity
- Post a note of when you left and where you are
- Make arrangements for your animals and pets